Kefalos Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake!

4 posters

Go down

Earthquake! Empty Earthquake!

Post by karen ann Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 am

Just seen on the BBC web site that 2 people have been killed on Kos following an earthquake. I have e-mailed Kokalakis Hotel in Kefalos to try and get any news. I will post a reply when I hear anything. Fingers crossed for them all. Sad Sad

karen ann
member user

Back to top Go down

Earthquake! Empty Re: Earthquake!

Post by Kefalot Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:43 pm

I see that members Pam and Nic (aka Panic) are in Kefalos at Stenna at the moment.
Kefalot
Kefalot
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by vanman Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 am

Smile I texted Georgie Best yesterday afternoon to see if they were Ok - had a reply saying that they and Kefalos were OK

vanman
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by karen ann Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 am

E-mail from Nitsa at Kokalakis saying they were all fine. Most of the damage to old building in Kos Town. Media over egging it slightly she reckons!

karen ann
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefalot Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Media over egging it slightly she reckons!

Hmmm.. That sounds like a bit of a throw away line to me. The pictures surely tell a different story and with two dead and at least one tourist having had to have a leg amputated and there are fears he might also lose the other. Yes it could have been much, much worse but I can't say that I have seen any media report that would support Nitsa's view.
Kefalot
Kefalot
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by karen ann Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 am

I think what she was meaning was that some of the coverage (Daily Mail a prime example) wrote of a "Killer tsunami" hitting Bodrum and "thousands of tourists camping at Kos airport attempting to flee earthquake island". Accepted the damage/deaths/injuries are always shocking, but some media reaction is way over the top. Having known Nitsa for many years, I do not think in any way she was being insensitive. Hope this clears it up. Cheers.

karen ann
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by Pam and Nic Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:58 pm

I think that what got people upset here was the Daily Mail reporting that thousands of people were trying to leave and then showing a photo of loads of people queuing at the airport. Anyone who knows Kos airport would realise that this was a normal daily occurrence.

We postponed our trip to Kos town last Friday out of respect for the dead and injured, but will be going up tomorrow night instead.

Pam and Nic
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by karen ann Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:47 pm

another report on the BBC news page said about some tourists in Kardamena who were frightened by the quake and that it was only 4.5 miles from Kos town! sorry how do you measure distances?

karen ann
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by vanman Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Idea According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake was about 6 miles below the sea bed and 10 miles from Kos, so me being a "clever dick", if we use Pythagoras' theorem, then the distance of the actual earthquake site is the square root of 100 + 36  - which is 11.7miles!!  ( OK being retired, I have got too much time on my hands)!

vanman
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by karen ann Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:23 am

What would we do without Pythagoras........or Vanman...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

karen ann
member user

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum