Kefalos Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 report pt. 1

Go down

2023 report pt. 1 Empty 2023 report pt. 1

Post by Pam and Nic Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:09 pm

Seventh repack complete, it's time to head for the airport. We stayed at the Hilton at John Lennon international, an early start on Sunday for our 07:10 flight to Kos.

The alarm goes off at 03:00, I reach for my watch before remembering the Grommit had banned us from bringing our watches as we were on holiday and didn't need them. Doesn't stop her asking me the time every five minutes though.

Liverpool is a lovely little airport and we're airside with no hassle. Flight is a bit late leaving, but we arrive on time. Our car, an Aygo is waiting in the supermarket car park, Grommit takes the reins and drives us to Stenna.

It's been four years since we were last in Kefalos, 2020 was obviously a write off. 2021 similarly. In 2022 we considered coming back, but had a credit with a hotel in Amsterdam which we had booked originally for New Year 2020, so we went there instead.

After the military operation of unpacking we headed for Maria's Bar where we were greeted warmly with a couple of Ouzo's. It was good to be back. Tea at Captain John's where we were greeted with hugs. Ending the evening with a Gin & Tonic on the balcony. Bliss.

Monday morning. Oh dear what can the matter be, a middle aged lady locked in the lavatory. Grommit managed to lock herself in and couldn't get the key to engage with the mechanism. I left her struggling for a minute or two before getting her to slide the key under the door and unlocking it from the outside.

After a light breakfast of yoghurt, fruit and honey it was time to head for the beach. Exotic Beach, as many of you know is a clothes optional beach, we've been going for many years now and we love it there. We were welcomed by Panos, guardian of the beach, he remarked the we were very white, I told him that was due to four years without sun. We settled down and stripped off. It was hot. After an hour or so reading we decided to have a dip, we usually do this singing 'the Lovecats' by the Cure, 'into the sea for a wee', etc. Grommit took off her wedding ring for safekeeping and stashed it in her glasses case. Once the mission was accomplished we returned to our beds. Later when we came to lunchtime our beach bag fell off the bed, scattering the contents on the sand. We picked everything up and ate our lunch. Home time came and the ring was nowhere to be seen, it had escaped. Frantic searching was in vain, Panos came down with his rake, nothing. Later he searched with a net, to no avail. I put out an appeal on Facebook for anyone who had a metal detector, but was told that we needed permission from the Mayor or possibly Zeus to be allowed to do so. In the following days we checked again, but without success. Perhaps in the future a Hobbit will find it and undertake a quest to hurl it into the volcano on Nyssiros.

The beach has been a constant for many years, we were glad to see the Running Man with his rucksack and speargun trotting by each day, although he isn't running as fast as he used to. Occasionally I'll go for a swim with my full face snorkel, this provides great amusement to Grommit as I paddle around with my little white bum sticking out of the water. She has christened me the Naked Norkeller.

Back to the apartment for G&T and nibbles before getting ready for the evening. Shower, shave, anti age moisturiser (more in hope than expectation) and out. First stop is usually Maria's Bar for a couple of Ouzo's while we decide where to eat. It's a week in and we've been to some old haunts and some new. Our favourite meal so far has also cost the least, Stop In. We had a Greek plate to share, Moussaka, Dolmades, Gemista and Meatballs, with sides of Fava and Giant Beans. Throw in a litre of house Rosé, €34. It was very good, simple food cooked well. Nice Tsipouro too.

Finally there's the Doodah. As every man knows, the Doodah is what the wife calls something she can't be bothered to remember the name of. 'Have you plugged in the Doodah?'. This is the Mozzie killer. 'Have you seen Doodah today?' This is our next door neighbour. 'Where's the Doodah?' This is the safe key.

Whatever else happens, I know it's going to be a Doodah day.

Pam and Nic
member user

Back to top Go down